5.11.2009

Walking the Runway [27 Days Post-Op]

Today I returned to work, and while it was nice to get back to a 'normal' routine and see some familiar faces, it was a short distraction before I headed to PT in the early evening.

Focus continues to be on evening out my gait. I keep thinking it's mental; that I am just not trusting my leg. However some pains can not be ignored (even after popping a Vicodin pre-PT) and just when I feel I'm improving, I get the same pain (more shooting than general) in the area of my patellar tendon, and my body goes back to the exaggerated limp.

Also, today I was given so many directions to correct my stride as I walked the imaginary red carpet for my trainers: "Let your leg straighten out before swinging it forward." "Bend your knee more." "Pull your surgical leg forward more quickly before you step on it." "Go faster." "Hold your shoulders way back..." My head was spinning and frustrations were mounting as I couldn't seem to do what they were asking. Walking the runway was neither glamorous nor fun. I really was (and am) at a loss.

What scares me is that the two people working with me at PT can't seem to figure out how explain the intermittent pain I'm getting and one of them mentioned the possibility of tendonitis today, which, honestly, has me a little freaked out. With overuse being the primary cause of tendonitis, even hoping I don't have it, I wonder if 'powering through' the pain in hopes of a speedy recovery may actually be hindering my recovery??

Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks post-op, and while I knew it was far fetched (even my surgeon uncle said so), I remember Drew telling me I would be running around 4 weeks. I can only hope that statement was made as incentive, and that it doesn't mean that I'm doing something wrong.

I have my 5 week follow up with the Doctor in 1 week (though I did see him briefly today as he made a random visit to the PT area) and hope to have this settled by then, or at VERY least, be able to get some answers as to where I am in comparison to his other patients at this point, and how I can stay (or get) on track.

3 comments:

  1. Hey,

    Great Blog. I tore my ACL skiing in March and today is day 29 post-Op.

    For whatever reason, my Doc didn't have the first post-Op appointment with me until almost two weeks. My PT didn't start for almost three weeks. So, I'm interested to follow your progress as you are a bit ahead of me.

    My biggest disappointment so far has just been reading and hearing how far behind others I am. But I just tell myself (so does my Physical Therapist) that everyone has a different schedule.

    I'll be excited to follow your progress. I can't wait to get back to things like skiing, Flag and basketball!

    Take care and good luck,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I am so glad you found the blog, and hopefully, you will find it useful as you go into your PT now. I am not well versed into why some patients are told to wait on PT and others are told to get right at it, but all you can do is trust your physical trainer and your doctor!

    Don't start your recovery with a feeling of disappointment in what may seem a 'late start' ... you will need to stay positive as you find yourself being challenged and, as I feel I am now, perhaps in a rut when it comes to cracking those milestones.

    I'm happy to answer any questions you might have, but if nothing else, enjoy the blog. I hope you find it useful... !!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Summer:

    Love your blog!

    I am a bit ahead of you but am curious about your progress. I am just over 10 weeks post-op and am still struggling with the mental challenge of walking normally again. I can bike outside and swim quite well so that is lifting my spirits.

    I've gone through 2 ruts now but not to worry... you always overcome them.

    Keep posting!

    Cheers,
    -Mireille

    ReplyDelete