5.20.2009

Surgical vs 'Good' Leg [5 weeks, 1 Day Post-Op]

I was just thinking about how at the end of February I was hitting all the resorts in Salt Lake City with my snowboard, and here it is, almost 3 months later, and I've been through injury, surgery, and what they say is the hardest part of re-hab. I can't wait to hit the slopes again... among other activities I'm itching to get back to!

So in my continued efforts to get back to 100% (or better!) I returned to PT today assuming I'd have pretty much the same routine as normal: Ultrasound (locally @ incision), a few painless exercises and stretching, and eventually 'ice' by rubbing ice directly on my knee until it's numb! I was right on everything, but then I got a little more in the way of exercises.

At 26 Days Post-Op (just 10 days ago) I mentioned some 'upcoming milestones'...

One goal is to get back to a 'normal range of motion' , which is from zero to 130-135 degrees. Drew told me that I am within a few degrees of that as of today (Yay!) but that my 'good' leg is closer to 160, so I definitely have some more work to do!!

Another ongoing goal is to normalize my gait. Today I was told I have all the PARTS of walking normally, I just need to piece it all together in one fluid motion. I like to compare this to learning to golf -- it's not easy to do everything right at once! While I may be able to control my walk enough to appear not to have a limp, it is still a very conscious effort (hence my previous post, 'Could the limp be gone?!' not stating that it was gone!). Drew would watch me walk and of course compare- What was my 'good' leg doing that my surgical leg was not? [Answer: My surgical leg is slightly bent through the whole stride; I'm never completely straightening it out.]

My goal to walk smoothly comes back to another goal I was perspicacious enough to realize over a week ago- being able to trust my surgical leg as I balance on it and at the same time go between straight and slightly bent. I brought this up to Drew today and he had me 'practice' doing this very motion. There were some new twinges of pain as I did it, and my leg was shaking (oh, how sad the weakness is!), but it was good to be forced, because I hadn't challenged myself at home just yet. I had to stop a few times and do the same motion with my 'good' leg, just to remember how it's supposed to look and feel!

And so the battle of Surgical vs 'Good' Leg continues.... As for the other milestones I'd set:
  • I'm happy to say I can go up stairs without favoring my surgical leg
  • I can balance on my surgical leg when it's straight (as well as slightly bent) without pain or feeling like i'm going to tip over (it's going between the two that's tough!)
  • I can go down stairs with one foot per stair (though I favor my surgical leg VERY much when doing so)
  • I continue to massage around the incision to get the skin to move freely over the knee cap (and I've also been using Mederma to hopefully reduce visibility of the scar... eventually)


Pic as of today (you can ignore the waffle imprint- that's from using my ThermoComp icing machine...)

And, since I may not post again before the Memorial Holiday - I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend, and I'll try not to do anything dumb to mess up all my hard work on my knee!!

Cheers!

4 comments:

  1. Your perspicaciousness is so fierce!
    Keep up the good work! Sending positive vibes and lots of love your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    So it sounds like stairs are no prob for you to put one foot on one stair. I just passed five weeks and I still cannot go up or down stair w/o doing the both feet on a stair thing. There is a ton of pain under my patella when I try to climb stairs "normally". Did you face this at all?

    My Epic Pass is ordered for next season, though it seems optimistically at this point!

    -JW

    ReplyDelete
  3. JW,
    I am only just now getting to the point where I can go up stairs 'normally', and as far as pain; it has been moreso being able to trust my leg and having the strength in my quad, than pain. However, in going DOWN, the pain is near my patellar tendon (where I had my graft from).

    Note: "The force on the patella is about two times body weight when climbing stairs, and seven times body weight when descending. This increased burden when going down stairs causes a magnification of pain during that time."
    -http://www.injurytreatment.com.au/anterior-front-knee-pain

    I have to climb stairs at home to get to the master bedroom, so perhaps it's given me more 'practice' and getting comfortable with the motion. Also, in PT I am doing 1-leg presses, which seem similar to climbing stairs (kind of)... But either way, if there's one thing I'm learning from all of this... it's to BE PATIENT. We'll get there, eventually!!

    And I'm hoping for a trip to Tahoe to get some use of my snowboard this winter -- We have to have goals, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stairs are a challenge. At nearly 12 weeks, it's still not smooth sailing going up and down stairs. Not to say it won't be easier for you guys... Just don't get discouraged too quickly.

    The body does come around to fixing itself! :-)

    M.

    ReplyDelete