5.18.2009

2nd Post-Op Meeting w the Doc [Nearly 5 Weeks Post-Op]

Today was a gorgeous day to be able to walk (slowly, and controlled...) out of work at lunchtime and eventually make my way to the Doctor's office for my 5-week follow-up appointment. I went in thinking that I would tell Dr. Shapiro of my set-backs in recovery, or maybe even have Drew make a visit (since the PT area is just downstairs from the Dr's office) to fill him in on my progress thus far and really have a big chat about it. As we know, things don't always go as planned.

Firstly, I had another set of x-rays taken. I mentioned that I already had x-rays taken at 1 week post-op, but the assistant said she was just following doctor's orders, so we both went along with it. Since the x-rays were identical to the last set, I felt they were a waste. Perhaps there is a small percentage of patients whose titanium screws (which hold the graft in place) may shift? Perhaps I'll google that... ;)

When Dr. Shapiro entered the room, we exchanged pleasantries, and I dove right into the discussion Drew and I had about my potential tendonitis, and how we felt it was setting back my recovery. When I told him that the tendonitis was in the area of the patellar tendon (where my graft was taken from), he seemed to pause a second and cock his head in misunderstanding.

"Well, you know, pain in that area is not necessarily tendonitis. I mean, that is where we took your graft from, so of course there is going to be some pain in that area.." he said. Well, this was followed up with how every recovery is different, and launched a discussion of pain management. I told him I've been off Vicodin for some time now, and only popped some Motrin (~600mg) every now and then for a two-birds-with-one-stone throw at both pain and inflammation. Can I really tell the difference when I take it vs not? Not really. But people also told me that Vicodin would be a god-send, and while I'm sure it helped dull some pain, it wasn't all I thought it'd be either. In the end he wrote me a prescription for something comparable to Motrin and told me to take that, mostly for inflammation that could be causing my pain. I am not a fan of popping pills, but Doctor's orders!

So, after our brief discussion of my maybe-tendonitis-but-not-necessarily, Dr. S had me sit with my legs extended out in front of me on the exam table. With my leg relaxed, he carefully manipulated the knee cap and poked around a little at the swelling, which seems to be in control. Next he had a look at my extension, which we haven't measured lately in PT, but is definitely at zero, if not -1 or so. Then, he had me slide my heel towards my butt and bend the knee as much as I could. Range of motion was "great" (though I still have some work to do on that bend!)... But for now- I'm on track!

After this, I extended my leg back out, and he grabbed my lower thigh with one hand and upper shin with his other hand, and did a little jiggle-jiggle to test the stability of my ACL (I assume, anyway) and those few things wrapped up the physical exam.

Once done, Dr. Shapiro was pleased with where I was and said I was right on track. God, that was good to hear after beating myself up over the last 2 weeks about my inability to walk w/o a limp or being 'behind schedule'. I was so happy that he didn't push the thought of tendonitis on me or give me any indication of being off track in general. I have too competitive of a spirit (even with myself) to have to deal with negativity that would have come from such focus.

I had them print me today's set of x-rays (which, truly, ARE exactly like the 1-week, so I won't bother uploading) and headed for PT. Drew was glad to hear the doctor was happy, and between the three of us, I think we will all be delighted as I can focus on the coming weeks and getting back to 'normal' !!

Note: I just heard meow-ing on my porch (we do not have a cat!) and it's a black cat! I hope that's not a bad sign... !!

No comments:

Post a Comment