4.14.2009

Today's the Day! [Surgery Day]

Luckily for the past week or so I've had lots of distractions from my upcoming Surgery. Tigers opening day was a BLAST on Friday, as just being downtown in that atmosphere with friends (including the ones you meet that day!) and a few drinks, and some cupcakes (happy belated bday, Carrie and Eric!) .... Well, what could possibly go wrong? Saturday morning we had breakfast with Dave Birr and Eric's 2 nephews (11 and 9 yrs old) and we had a good laugh over convincing them I was having a monkey tendon put in my knee, and when the surgery was over I'd be scratching myself more and have a new found love of bananas! The rest of Saturday and Sunday were a little more low-key, but I was still busy enough (and not physically hindered!) to not be worrying about my knee. I even rode around the golf course with Eric on Sunday and worked on my chipping and putting one last time! (Masters, here I come!)

Yesterday was a day off work for Lear (my employer) so I had the day to myself at home. I thought about trying to really 'make it count' , but ended up cleaning and running a few errands (including a drive-by the hospital where they told me I'll need to go since I was already up in the area...) And it was one of those mental things, where previously I thought I'd be more worked up about it, but really, it was just another day.

I got a call in the early afternoon telling me my surgery time would be 2:30pm, so to arrive at Beaumont-Royal Oak Hospital at 12:30pm. I would have preferred an earlier time (just to get it over with, to be honest!) but that has left me with this nice time this morning to relax, take my time, and enjoy the morning to myself before Eric and my mom (who came into town last night) are still asleep. Funnily enough, the only real hassle of this later surgery time is that I was told not to eat or drink after midnight last night. I'm OK now, but I imagine come 2:30p my stomach will have it's own thoughts on the subject!!

So, last night we figured how to set the laptop up to the TV to take advantage of my new NetFlix account, and also watched all 2 hours of the $5 DVD I picked up at Best Buy - SNL's "The Best of Steve Martin" ... It was a fun distraction (and has me thinking of Halloween '09 already!!) ... and lead me right up to a nice cup of tea to round out the night around 11:30pm. [Did you think I wouldn't try to eat and drink right up until midnight? C'mon now!] :)

And after many sleepless nights in the last month and a half since my injury (some due to the injury, but many more due to the over-active brain of mine, which prior to this was never an issue at night...) I finally got a mostly solid good nights sleep, and feel refreshed going into today's events!

Out of everything though, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone for your overwhelming support. I know when it comes down to it, this is a routine surgery being done by an amazing doctor, and I'll be one of the 150 ACL reconstructions he'll do this year... But, of course it's more than that to me, and knowing I have so many of your well wishes, support, prayers, good vibes... call it what you want!... it just means so much!! After this blog I promise to get back into the real details of the surgery and keep my readers riveted!! ;) [Well, we'll see...]

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment