4.28.2009

Pity Parties & Impressive Improvement [2 Weeks Post-Op]

As I start to type this, it's 12:30p - exactly two weeks ago I was checking into Beaumont Hospital with what felt like a perfectly good set of legs. Thanks to an MRI after hearing my knee *pop* in flag football, I knew that I really was in for a treat, as I headed for the pre-op to have my ACL reconstructed from my own patellar tendon.

In two weeks I've overcome some major milestones, from ditching the crutches and immobilizer, gaining some great range of motion, and slowly regaining muscle back in the quad of my surgical leg. Not to mention, getting out of the house to spectate some of my favorite sports teams!

This is not to say that it's been increasing improvement each day, or, without pain. As you may know, within 1 week of surgery, the goal was to get to a 90 degree bend. I was delighted to be able to reach that goal (even though in PT I went through the worst pain I've felt in my life...). Between that 90 degree PT visit and Sunday's home PT (6 days later) I figured I'd gain 5-10 degrees on any given day, and be flying towards full range of motion. Instead, I found myself getting to what looked to still be about 90 degrees and really beating myself up to get just a little more bend.

Welcome to my (then) pity party with RSVP of yours truly. Instead of being happy with at least remaining around 90, I was disappointed. I was coming up on the 2 week mark, and hardly had made progress in 6 days. Sure, I was walking a little more confidently, but I still had (and have) trust issues with my knee. What did I have to show for the previous week? I had even religiously done my PT work at home on Saturday and Sunday, and felt that it had hardly made a difference.

Reality check: At the time of my 1-person pity party, I was still under 2 weeks from major knee surgery. Recovery takes time. I had to remind myself (and be reminded) that I can't get down on myself when I still have 11/12ths of the road to recovery to go!!

This takes me to PT on Monday, 4/27. I worked with Michelle again and the first thing she asked me to do was try to flex my surgical quad. I did, and she lit up and said, "There you go! Much better [than Friday]!!" and with that, my mood started to turn more positive. I went on to do a few more exercises....

After a few warm-up tasks, it came time for the most dreaded part- forced bending. I mentioned to her that I tried to do it at home, but wasn't getting the improvement I'd hoped for. "We'll see..." she said. She tried to keep me occupied with other conversation, and I tried to relax. The less I fight her, perhaps there'd be more bend and less pain. A few slow bends, reaching a somewhat painful point, and coming back off, we maybe bent my leg 3 times or so. Finally, she got the tool to measure how much I was bending and we pushed it one last time...

"Last Friday you were freaking out around 90 degrees and look at you now! Just shy of 120 degrees! That's some impressive improvement!"

With that news, I was ecstatic. I allowed myself to enjoy the surprise of the new range of motion, and finished my work-out with determination. And while I'm not sure what I'm doing at home that might be helping increase the bend, this new achievement supported my plan to keep up with PT at home as if I had a trainer looking over me!

So here I am, 2 weeks post-op and pain and setbacks aside, I feel confident I'm on my way to that full recovery I keep hearing about... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment