4.06.2009

Cruise Control [8 Days Pre-Surgery]

It’s been almost 2 weeks since I’ve given an ‘update’ but that’s because right now I’m just coasting into surgery time. I’ve kept up with PT, but each visit is now the exact same routine. My “I’m going to do every little exercise to the best of my ability!” attitude has dimmed a little, as I think I’ve reached my pre-hab peak and the monotony of the exercises have dulled the experience a little. Not to mention, having to sit out of indoor soccer games, skipping softball and soccer practices, and only being able to slowly ride a bike next to Eric as he runs; it’s all I can do to try and keep my chin up as I’m missing out on my fave activities! Pity party aside, I do expect my mentality to come back around once I have surgery and can work on progress in rehab, and hopefully I can keep myself occupied by having the physical challenges to rise to!

Nowadays the knee is feeling very… normal! As I mentioned before, it’s hard to think that I feel just fine now, but will be putting myself through this surgery and a challenging rehab, just to feel this good again. Being able to plan to be barely mobile is a weird thing to do: it feels like planning for a car to break down. Most people just don’t get this luxury! I’ve been lucky to have the time to do research (and pre-hab) and rest my engineering mind. That, plus the pre-op prep around the house, will surely lead to me keeping my cool around surgery time, right?!

At the homestead the guest bedroom is all cleaned up for my mom, dad and Eric’s mom, respectively, as they’ll be helping me out during the week of surgery. I borrowed crutches (thanks Ed!) and Eric and I put in a removable shower head that will prove helpful in the beginning ‘difficult to stand’ days! Otherwise it’s the little things – like cleaning the floors and getting all the laundry up to speed - that will just be easier now instead of during recovery!

As I tie up those loose ends, I am still faced with the question- what will I do while I’m spending most of my time on the couch, resting and icing after surgery? There are the obvious- reading, puzzles and crosswords, TV/Movies (a trial membership to Netflix may be in order!)… Heck, I might even work on my Mario Kart for N64 so I can continue to take Dan to Koopa Troopa… But, then what? Blogging, surfing the internet and playing solitaire are sure to lose their luster after a few days. It’s here, my friends, that I would love to know what YOU would do!! Expected date to return to work is April 28, so I’ll have some time to kill!

Until then, the cruise control is on and I’ve got lots of fun things to occupy myself until next week… Seeing a show with Sarah, Detroit Tiger’s opening day on Friday, celebrating Eric’s birthday this weekend (Happy Bday, Babe!)… Oh, and did I mention watching MSU tonight in the NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME?!!

GO GREEN!


(Photo Compliments of Margie's Phone during Saturday's big Final 4 win!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment