4.21.2009

A Monumental Week [7 Days Post-Op]

Tomorrow is my 4th Physical Therapy and my first post-op appointment with Dr. Jeff Shapiro- I promise to get an entry up about that tomorrow... But, first things first: Here we are, 7 days post-op!!

If you would have told me this week would go by so quickly, I wouldn't have believed you. But trials and tribulations aside, there have been some definite improvements that have me keeping a positive mind in my eventual recovery!
  • I can bend beyond 90 degrees and straighten to zero degrees
  • I can bear all of my body weight on my surgical leg (veeery carefully)
  • I can walk (albeit slowly and quite hobble-ish) without aid of crutches or a brace
  • I can get up and down stairs without assistance
  • I can drive
  • I can bathe (woo hoo!)

Of course, there are many milestones including:

  • Going up and down stairs w/o having to take them one at a time
  • Walking w/o a limp
  • Regain balance (on both and) in my surgical leg
  • Regaining entire range of motion
  • Running
  • Returning to sports (this is KEY for my sanity!!)
  • Getting back to 'normal' !

I understand this will take 6-12 months, and I'm not planning on being a hero and getting out there too early. However, I hope I can continue with physical torture... I mean therapy (!) with vigor until I'm where I am capable of being, both physically and mentally! Of course I wouldn't be able to do it without a strong network of support, so again, thank you to everyone for all your help and kindness.


And because everyone likes photos (or, is it starting to gross you out?!)... some Day 7 post-op pics, for reference:
Increased yellowing and bruising, primarily on the inside of the knee and a little down the shin.
Bruising has also come about on the back of the knee:
I don't seem to have any trouble straightening to Zero degrees, and there has been no change in the incision area, as I have not removed the tape nor gotten it wet. Bending the knee continues to be a challenge, and I can get it to about 100 degrees but not without pain.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment