6.02.2009

Knees and Trees [7 Weeks Post-Op]

I am forced off work this week (it's all good!) and so that means daytime PT appointments and taking care of those little things that are often put off. Since I have been making improvements in PT and feeling stronger on my feet, it was decided that this week is when a big tree in our back yard would come down.

My dad, a seasoned tree-cutter-downer and general outdoors man, offered his services, but this is a big task for just one person. So, in addition to keeping him well fed and hydrated, I decided to monitor how my knee felt as I helped with the take down. I was aware that the backyard is a bit soft and, in some spots, uneven. Also, there is always the chance that a limb can come down more quickly or in a different direction than anticipated, so it meant being smart about where I was in relation to the action. Luckily Eric was able to be a big help when it came to needing extra elbow grease for the big cuts, and some of those times I was happy to stay on the sidelines instead of risk any injury.

2-day story short- and because you were surely holding your breath- there were no injuries, or even pain beyond normal use! There were even times I was able to plant both feet firmly and tug on guide wires, and I felt strong in my foundation. Or if I needed to step on a branch to hold it down as I broke it into smaller pieces, I could use either foot and wasn't nervous to do so.

This definitely isn't how I expected to be 'celebrating' my 7-week post-op anniversary. At the same time, if you would have asked me a few weeks ago if I would be helpful in an activity like this at 7 weeks, I might have thought you were crazy!

Meanwhile, PT is focusing on the same strength building exercises and transitioning me into running. Drew worked a lot on stretching my hamstring and really straightening out my leg at last PT, and I felt a lot better when I jumped on the treadmill immediately after. 10 minutes of speed walking followed by 3 minutes of running left me tired, sweaty, but most of all confident of my eventual return! Yay!

The backyard beast that had to come down:
Draped in chains that helped pull the tree down, limb by limb... it's not my limbs holding me back anymore! (OK, Cheesy, I know!)


No comments:

Post a Comment