6.20.2009

Round and Round We Go... [9 Weeks 4 days Post-Op]

Due to mixing it up in PT on Wednesday (and in the process, doing a handful of exercises until my muscles truly fatigued) I was awfully sore starting Friday morning. As a matter of fact, the limp returned [but before you are sad for me, read on], this time due to my muscles in my non-surgical (R) leg being so sore that I was then favoring THAT leg! Maybe it's nothing to be excited about, since the last thing I need right now is an ever-growing right quad. However, CHEERS to my left (surgical) leg for being strong enough to put up with the flip-flop of the limp! Luckily, the soreness has since faded substantially, and I'm back to a generally normal gait...

Instead of trying to bust out more PT exercises on Friday, I thought trying a yoga DVD would be better, to stretch and work on breathing. It was nice, including some lunging poses, however, about half way into it there were some poses I chose to skip. For example, one req'd kneeling and putting weight on the area where they took my graft, and by the time that one came about, I decided I had stretched enough for the time being!

To feel like I'm still doing what I can on my own, today I did some walking and a mile run on the track [where my new iTouch helped break the monotony of going round and round- Thx BB!]. That was followed by lots of stair work on the local HS bleachers. Since they're half-steps, I would go up taking 2 steps at a time, always leading with my surgical leg, forcing that quad to do most of the work. Going down I would step down with non-surgical leg, forcing the surgical quad to, again, bear the burden of controlling the balance and movement as I stepped down.

Stairs are one of the things I am using to track my progress. When I end up ahead of someone (going up or down) in the stairwell at work, I feel myself getting flustered as I hear them galloping closer, and I can't seem to go as fast. I am noticing some improvement, but for now they'll just have to deal with it - I refuse to take the elevator!

Now, back to enjoying the weekend! Happy (early) Father's Day to all the daddios out there, and especially the best one I know-- Papa John! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment