6.15.2009

My First 1-Mile Run [2 Months Post-Op]

Since my last PT visit, I hadn't made much time to get in quality exercise for my knee over the weekend. I blame being preoccupied, but a little of it was laziness. Over the weekend there was a lot of walking and standing, and the 'ol knee held up well. Occasionally an ache would find it's way around my knee, but nothing too painful. Either way, I was looking forward to today, since my last PT visit was finally a break from the monotonous routine I'd been doing.

Today's surprise was the 'timed 1-mile run'. As an ex-cross country runner and being an athlete in general, I know I used to be able to easily run 1 mile. Plus, I've done previous sessions of run-walk intervals in PT, covering more than 1 mile, but today's challenge was to do 1 mile running, and at a decent pace. So, once I'd done an 8 minute warm up on the elliptical and stretched a little, I headed for the treadmill. Drew was not over my shoulder during the run, so I didn't burn myself out on it, but I did make sure to turn up the pace from previous PT runs (from 6.0 to 6.5). I finished in ~9:30, and for my first mile back after knee surgery, I am OK with that! (Plus, I know I could have gone faster if I had to, but I still had a full slate of PT ahead of me!).

The run left me whipped, but as usual, I felt really good about it once I was done! I did a handful of other exercises (including shuffling side-to-side between cones; also pushing off side-to-side in a speed skater fashion on a slip board) which had me working on sideways movements and adding in a little squat motion as well. It's good to know I'm getting to a point where it's not all about the range of motion in a straight line!

While I did have to go down in weight on the one-leg press today by ~10#, I was fine with exhausting my leg muscles to the point where they were shaking throughout that exercise, and others. Lunging is still difficult to put the weight evenly through my surgical leg, but practice makes perfect, right?

Next Monday (just shy of 10 weeks post-op) I'll see the Doctor again and make sure I'm on track!

I haven't posted pics in a while, but then again not much is changing. Swelling seems minimal, the incision is healing up nicely, and the definition in my legs is coming back, little by little. The only thing I might ask about is the dark spot that still remains on the back of my knee where I had dark bruising after surgery. I am sure it's normal, but just out of curiosity.

4 comments:

  1. Summer - I've been following your blog, as I had ACL reconstruction on my left knee on May 4th. I am really impressed with your progress and a bit jealous that you are running. (My surgeon and PT have ruled out running for me for 6 months!!!) Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I look forward to reading about your continued progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks guys! I am so grateful for the support!!

    T&C: What kind of graft did you use? Until you can run there are plenty of other strengthening exercises to work on, so don't get discouraged! Even when I run, although it is improving, I am still a little uneven in my strides, so perhaps your plan will have you start running when strength has fully returned. How is your walking coming along?

    Good luck, and thanks for following along! I am glad to share my story if it's found helpful, or entertaining! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there,

    I've been following Summer's blog too. We actually had surgery on the same day.

    It has been said before, but it should be repeated - all surgeries and docs are different. My doc had me non-weight bearing for almost two full weeks and I did not start PT for almost a full month after surgery. It seemed like my doc was just in no rush to push me along. Similarly, its my doc's standard practice to not let anyone run for four months.

    So, b/c of that I'm much further behind than Summer. My chicken leg has become even smaller! You just need need to keep w/ the exercises and get that "quad control" up. If something is difficult, like climbing stairs, practice it. That's where I am with the step down (where you try not to put any weight on the non-surgical leg).

    Don't get discouraged!

    -John

    ReplyDelete