10.14.2009

Typical Recovery Period? Check. [6 Months Post-Op]

6 months have passed since I went under Dr. Shapiro's knife, and I'm delighted to have this blog to go back and remember some of those specifics that are so easily forgotten as the 'light at the end of the tunnel' comes into view. I've now gotten back to try some of my fave sports (soccer, ultimate frisbee) which was my ultimate goal. Soon indoor soccer will start up, and perhaps I can even sub on some volleyball teams this winter... But more importantly, I've made it through the 'typical' 6 month recovery, and have reached some other goals:
  • Walking without a limp
  • Running (not rumping!)
  • Reaching pre-surgical leg strength (using 1-leg press as a judge)
  • Gaining most (but not all - yet!) of my quad muscle mass back
  • I've got back my entire Range of Motion (ROM) with the exception of a little hyperextension (Dr. S said it's not necessary to get this back anyhow...)
  • My balance and control is comparable to pre-surgery, just lacking a bit still
  • For the most part, I have 'forgotten' about the knee and can enjoy my normal lifestyle!! Yippee!

Some other items of note:

  • There is still some numbness to the outside of where the incision was made, but seems to be reduced
  • Kneeling (think: yoga) is an odd sensation (probably due to partial numbness) which I believe my mind tricks me into thinking is painful, but it really isn't too bad, just uncomfortable
  • On days after lots of activity my NON-surgical leg is sometimes sore, suggesting I still overcompensate
  • I typically don't feel a difference as I go down stairs anymore, but on the aforementioned 'sore' days, that old feeling creeps back in a little
I must admit, I've gotten a little lazy in my "workouts" and it doesn't help that I don't belong to a gym. I am hoping that returning to some sports and having my BOSU ball at home in these cold/dark evenings will keep me moving and hopefully motivate me to have some level of 'rehab' at home as winter sets in!

For Wendy (who 'rumped' for the first time yesterday at 5 weeks post-op!) and Bill, who went under the knife this morning -- Keep your eye on the prize! It will be worth it in the end!

For anyone else who finds or reads my blog- I hope it's useful and if you ever want to 'comment', I'm happy to give you my take on the "ACL Journey", or just hear how you're doing or about your experience!

My next goal still remains: Indoor soccer with my beloved Hooligans!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the support Summer! I don't know what I would do without you! I am so very glad you took the time to do all this blogging. It totally brings me back to some sense of my new "normal" when I check out my milestones. As much as I will be glad when this is all over, I am very happy that it has happened. The journey is incredible and I will forever be changed by the experience, the friends I have made, and the friends that I have gotten to know better! Moochies smoochies! Love always Breezy!!! (Wendy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear everything is going well!

    I've totally gotten lazy too now that I'm back to sports. It's so difficult to do more physio stuff when you can play ultimate!

    If you want some motivation to get both legs equal: yesterday I played against a guy who was recovering from his second acl surgery (he's torn both acl's). According to studies I've read, you're more likely to tear the acl in your good leg than bad, so keep up the strengthening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are bananas amazing, in case I haven't told you in a while! I'm so glad you are back to your bad-ass Summah self!

    ReplyDelete