10.30.2009

Indoor Soccer... Finally! [6.5 Months Post-Op]

My last indoor soccer game, I believe, was 2/12/09. I missed 2 games when I went on my Utah snowboard trip, and when I returned home I promptly tore my ACL and was out until ... well, now!

Last night I was happy to be back (even though I am far from a star player)! Having played ultimate frisbee for a few weekends now had me somewhat prepared for the stop-and-go as well as quick changes of directions... But, as my teammate Berkley John so kindly put it, when I play UF "no one's trying to kill me" because we're all friends and it's just pick-up. That said, there were a few times when I saw more than one person coming hard at a ball and I was definitely more timid than usual... but in my defense, I feel like last night's team was pretty talented with lots of fast, aggressive players, so perhaps it was the right way for me to play. With time, I'm sure I'll get more comfortable out there (and, hopefully back in 'soccer shape' so I can handle the more sprint-like running!). Until then, all I can do is keep showing up and try to get better-- which would have been the case, injury or not!

One exciting point in the game was a sweet pass to fellow post-op teammate, Jordan (who is just returning from back surgery). It was a textbook play, with the ball going from me, right onto his foot, and moments later, hitting the back of the net. Just try and call us gimps! ;)

5 comments:

  1. October 27th is when a guy's knee rammed the side of mine, the knee went inward, and I went down on the basketball court.

    I had some previous experience with knee injuries having partially torn my (other) MCL during football my senior year of college (DIII ball). I self-diagnosed a partially torn ACL that evening and wrote my basketball and soccer teams that I'd be out 6-8 weeks. So, I was pretty surprised when the doctor told me two days later that it was a complete tear: 6-8 months.

    I go in for surgery at 8am on Monday.

    Thanks for the blog. I hope in 6-8 months I can be where you are now. It's great to be able to read about someone's journey to that point.

    Though everyone knows there's a large variation of how one's body reacts to this, I'm pretty sure everyone can relate to the same varying mental/emotional states as one passes from proud to pitying, from determined to frustrated, from confident to confused, and from excited to tired, to name a few, during the long road back.

    But, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

    Wish me luck.

    Justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin, So glad my blog can offer a little encouragement for the journey that is the road to recovery from knee surgery!! Sounds like you've got a great attitude going in, and having done your research you're in a wonderful position to make good choices along the way and know what to expect as you heal.

    Hope your surgery went well today, and should you start your own blog, I'd be interested to hear about your experience!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you find soccer more challenging to get back to than ultimate?

    Glad to hear it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm.. define 'more challenging'... !

    I think the fact that we've been playing ultimate nearly every weekend since my 5 month mark has prepped me for some of the motions in start/stop and changing directions quickly.

    Otherwise the interaction with the soccer ball (and playing against people who don't know or care that I'm post-ACL surgery), is a totally different ballgame, and I still get really nervous before games. But as each game passes and I get through things like falling, being charged, kicking with my surgical leg or even dumb things like rolling my ankle (no popping! luckily!)... I realized I'm getting 'back to normal' and the confidence slowly comes back! However, I think I'm still more timid in both sports for now. Hopefully that will change as the seasons progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean by being timid / nervous as I feel the same way. I'm quite scared to kick a soccer ball with my acl leg now. I think I'll stick to just throwing a frisbee for awhile =)

    Hopefully it won't last too long !

    ReplyDelete