10.12.2009

I'm Baaaaack!! [Shy of 6 Months Post-Op]

Funny how things work. I am 2 days shy of my 6-month ACL surgery anniversary and this weekend a few opportunities presented themselves which allowed me to prove to myself that I'm ready for my comeback!

We got a group together for the 3rd round of pick-up Ultimate Frisbee on Saturday, which as usual was a lot of sprinting, stopping, changing directions and a bit of jumping. Being that we play outdoors and in cleats, this has been a major confidence booster for me when considering my return to soccer.

Our normal co-ed team won't be starting indoor soccer for another week and a half or so, but the outdoor season is still wrapping up. I've heard the fields are in pretty rough shape, and fellow ACL rehabber, Jeff, opted out of the outdoor seasons entirely this summer partially because of the pounding and poor field conditions. So when I got a text from our captain on Saturday asking if I'd be able to sub on Sunday (yesterday) for outdoor, I was a combination of excited and nervous! I said yes, but worried because I'd hardly touched a soccer ball since surgery, and because I didn't want to hurt myself if the fields were that bad.

Luckily, the ground was kind of soft thanks to the previous week worth of rain, and aside from some expected ruts in the field, the game seemed to be pretty forgiving to my knee. [Note: I have not and don't plan on using a knee brace.] Once I got out there, I felt pretty strong and even tallied an assist with a corner kick! Otherwise it wasn't a brilliant game for me by any means, but it was on par with where I was pre-surgery, and that's all I can ask for!! I must also say that it was fun to be welcomed back to the field by my teammates-- I've missed being out there with you all!

I was delighted that things had gone so well in soccer, only to come home to a message asking if Eric and I would mind subbing for 2 games of softball that afternoon. How could I say no, seeing as how I'd conquered UF and soccer already this weekend?! Softball's never been a strong sport of mine, but it was fun to get back out there, toss the ball around and take a few swings. It feels good to be back!!

One day later, I am pretty sore, but I'm sure part of that has been some laziness in my exercise routine prior to this active weekend. I think there was a little unintentional overcompensation at times, because my non-surgical leg (quad, calf and even shin!) is more sore than my surgical leg... but for the sudden spike in activity in 2 short days, I don't think I would have expected any less.

Tonight, it's off to yoga, which I hope will end up with some much-needed stretching. But I couldn't be happier with the weekend's turn of events and opportunities to get back in action. My nerves are (mostly) settled and now I can look forward to my next activity to conquer: Indoor Soccer!

Until then, a big CONGRATS to Missy and Nic for their wedding this weekend-- I can't wait to walk (not limp!) down the aisle and be a part of your big day! And in addition to all this fun stuff to celebrate, I now have my own engagement to add to the list, as of 9/26/09! Perhaps it's time for me to start a new blog! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the return to sports and the engagement!

    Yes, you will have to start a wedding blog...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete