9.01.2009

Ciao, Dr. S! [20 Weeks Post-Op]

From the title, I'm sure you can guess... My good man, Dr. Jeffrey Shapiro gave me the final farewell yesterday in my follow-up visit! He admitted that I came out of the gate a little slower than most, but that I've made up ground since then and am right on track. I had often looked forward to my visits with Dr. S to get such confirmation, but at the same time I'm grateful that I had a (mostly) smooth road to recovery and that I'm nearly back to normal!! This must be what Drew felt like when I ended things with him, and PT... *sigh*

Despite halting doctor and PT appointments, I'm not done yet! PT (at home) will be ongoing, as I hope to stick with doing things on my own at least 3 times a week until I can work my way back into sports. For instance, today I strapped on my soccer/UF cleats for the first time and got a taste of the field. Unfortunately tomorrow's soccer practice was cancelled, but I will be doing a workout and eventually heading up to the driving range to dust off the 'ol golf clubs too! Knowing the doctor doesn't need to see me again gives me that 16-yr-old-with-a-set-of-car-keys feeling of freedom again!

But I must share... Yesterday's 'closure' with Dr. S did end on a bit of a personal sour note. My good friend Wendy was in one of his OTHER exam rooms, getting the news that she'd torn her ACL (just like me- playing flag football!). So, as much as I would have liked to avoid my injury, I am almost glad I have the experience (and blog!) under my belt to help reassure her that she'll come through it just fine!! [You can do it, Wendy!]



The gorgeous bouquet I received from Miss Wendy... just for helping! Aww, shucks!

Things I'm looking forward to: Golfing this weekend, Yoga class starting in 2 weeks, and hopefully dusting off the frisbee one of these weekends for some good 'ol fashioned pick-up games!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats and Great work! I hope you enjoy your new knee! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers! That is awesome. Doesn't mean you can stop blogging, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete