8.28.2009

'Little Things' Make a Comeback [19.5 Wks Post-Op]

Somewhere along the way in my recovery I think I stopped celebrating the 'little things'. I kept a fresh perspective of what I could and couldn't do when it came to exercising or getting back range-of-motion, but the more I think about it, that's not what I'm excited to be doing again... And as gradually as they've come, there are lots of little things I'm happy to say I do without wondering "what will this do to my knee?"...

For instance, today I woke up, got out of bed and walked across the room. Ta-da! There once was a time when that was my biggest challenge! But now I'm back to my groggy "I don't wanna get up" mindset, instead of thinking step-ouch-step-ouch as I used to hobble away from my resting place. Then it's showering. And getting back upstairs to get dressed. And putting on high heels! And yes, even taking out the trash-- because before I was helpless, and while it's not a desirable task, I can.

Next, it's pivoting on my left (surgical) leg as I get into my car (which is quite low to the ground). No more backing up near my seat, having weight on both feet and gingerly lowering myself into the seat. Plant, pivot, sit and DRIVE-- one (mostly) fluid motion! At work it's lots of sitting, but there is still getting in and out of my chair, crossing my legs, or scooting around in my cube on my wheelie chair and not feeling any pain. Ah, the little things!

Today at work I had to cut a strip away from a very large piece of paper from the plotter. Given the size, I figured the floor was my best work space. So this meant squatting down (and getting back up!) and also some kneeling (*gasp*)! I am still cautious when kneeling and putting weight where they took my graft from, but it turned out to be a surprisingly normal feeling!

Regarding my PT-at-home: jumping is getting easier but still challenging. I can run on pavement w/o additional soreness. I even completed a yoga DVD (complete with child's pose!) on an 'off' day, and there were lots of movements I am proud to be able to do again, no matter how simple.

Monday (8/31) is another follow-up with Dr. Shapiro, and Wednesday (9/2) has a high potential of being my first soccer practice! [Despite being given the OK to 'practice' last time I saw Dr. S-- I've still been sticking to PT routines. I may be eager to get back out there, but I want to feel confident first...]

Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on Monday! You obviously don't need it, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work, I just recently returned to a light practice schedule. I toke 5 snaps with the offense today. No pressure just reading and throwing to covered receivers. I have been told no cutting, or pivoting. I am 5 months out. How far are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I will be 5 months on 9/14... Looking forward to getting back to normal, eventually!

    ReplyDelete