8.13.2009

How I Broke Up With PT [4 Months Post-Op]

Tomorrow I will be 4 months post-op. If you're an avid reader (or, recap HERE) you'll know my Doctor gave me the impression I only had a 4 month recovery (or, perhaps he meant 4 months of PT?…). I was skeptical then, and now that I'm here, I still know I'm not at 100%, but I'm doing what I can to get there.

Over the weekend I got yet another medical bill, and while I am blessed to be insured, I'm also blessed with a mathematical mind. Is what I'm paying for in PT really worth it anymore? Before I used to tell myself that having someone guide me, albeit 1x per week, was worth any cost to know I'm on track. However, the last month or so was very hands-off for Drew, and even regarding equipment use- aside from the 1-leg press and a BOSU ball here and there, most everything I can do at home. So, I approached Drew yesterday as I came into PT, asking "Is it OK if this is my last visit?" Drew gave me a long look and asked, "Are you breaking up with me?!"

We did some L-to-R comparison of lunging, jumping, balancing on each leg individually, as well as measured circumference at my knee, lower and mid thigh. Here's how I see my progress as of today:
Strength ~ 90%: For instance, I can 1-leg press pre-surgical weight, but it's still a little shaky. Which brings us to...
Control ~55%: It is still difficult to absorb the impact when jumping and landing on my surgical leg. Controlling the motion of something like a 1-leg squat is very difficult and borderline painful to do as I work into deeper bending. I think toning the muscle around my knee as I get it back will help improve this.
Mass ~85%: I still have mass to regain in my L quad, but even the mass I do have is not as solid as my R leg. I know this will come in time, but as trainers have told me along the way, I have further to go than most people based on the large size of my non-surgical quad!
Endurance ~95%: I might be guessing high, but if my knee were miraculously healed tomorrow, I think my endurance would be pretty good. Although I might take that down to 90% or so when I think of playing the full duration of a soccer game with minimal subs, or the continuous sprints of ultimate frisbee.

Now that I'm PT-free I can consider my options (what unattached girl wouldn't?!). Buy some equipment for home exercise, like a BOSU ball? Or spring for a gym membership to have equipment at my disposal? Or go to some open swims at a local pool for some 'low impact' jumping to work on control? I know I can always call Drew for questions, pointers, or help… plus he provided me with a few pages of exercises to keep working on. Any way I work it, I'm pretty confident I can do this on my own now.

Sorry, PT… It's not you, it's me. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you! You are the most bananas woman ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bosu's are awesome. I'd highly recommend getting one even if you get a gym membership as well.

    Grats on almost hitting 4 months! sounds like everything is going well!

    I was in the same situation regarding one legged squats a month ago. I used to be shaking and stuff but now it's a lot better.

    In your last update, you mentioned your knee was catching, did that go away?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had read your comments of all the things you do on BOSU for your knee, and that's kind of what got me thinking about it. Care to publish a BOSU workout brochure specific for ACL recovery?!

    The catching is still there, but not as often. I think mentally I am no longer scared of the motion that causes it (since the catch is not painful), and with that confidence I am using my leg more normally. That said, I think it's just happening less.

    I'm looking forward to returning to normal activity.. I'm just not sure what will be first!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a sucessful break up, I am almost 5 months out, and I have beed thinking about the same thing. My excercises are so hand's off, I just interact with my PT before and after my session. I have been skipping some of my appointments due to time constraints. At the end of this month, my visits will expire, and I will be responsible for the whole bill. So, I am going to take your lead, and break up with my as well. My single leg presses are getting better, strength is getting better.

    ReplyDelete