7.31.2009

We Talkin' 'Bout Practice! [15.5 Weeks Post-Op]

Monday (7/27) I met with my surgeon, and despite the fact that I didn't see him until over an hour after my original appointment time, it was a good, quick visit. My physical therapist didn't give me any ammunition to go in with, since I seem to be on track (I just have to get back that muscle mass and control!!). Also, I haven't had any odd pains or limitations to speak of, so I feel like we're doing things right so far.

One question I had was about distance running. I've kept to 1.5 miles or less up until this appointment, because I don't want to develop bad habits since my surgical leg still has muscle to get back. [Yes, I do still favor my leg a bit when running.] I figure if I keep the distance low, I can pick up the speed, and when I run more quickly, it seems to lessen any limping. Dr. Shapiro said up to 2 miles would be fine, so I will stay under that until I see him again in a month. I hadn't planned on running the Detroit Marathon in October anyhow... ;)

While it's nice to get back into running, that's not all I've been eager to do! Since I'm up for most any sport (except basketball, which I've never been too great at) I had to ask, what ELSE can I do? Dr. S threw a blanket statement out there, "You can run some drills and practice pretty much all of your sports now, just don't participate in any competitive games." I eyed him skeptically because really, isn't it the motions, not the contact I need to be worried about? But I also wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth either. So, to be sure he meant 'all' I thought of one of the sports that would be rough on the knees and said, "Even sand volleyball?" His response: "Well, no. That'll be next year. Too uneven." Luckily that's the answer I expected, so I went for a more hopeful one... "Soccer?" "Yes." Woo hoo! Look out local high school turf field!

In hindsight I should have asked about more activities, but by the time I would have gotten through the list of sports I want to start playing again, I might have kept him there another 10 minutes. ;) For now, it's all about doing what I am comfortable with, and stopping if there's pain.

1 comment:

  1. wow that's awesome! I am exactly 3 months post op today and see my surgeon for a check up on the 11th. My progress hasn't been quite as quick as yours (no running, and my PT won't let me for 6 months)... but I have gotten myself up to 30 min on the treadmill. Keep plugging away, I'll be curious to hear about how soccer goes!

    ReplyDelete