2.26.2010

P.S. [1 yr after initial injury]

March 1, 2009.



That's when I heard the *pop*.


Here we are, just shy of my 1 year injury anniversary. Even my fellow ACL rehabber, Wendy, so kindly reminded me of this with a cute e-card! But in all honesty it makes me look back at the whole process and my comeback trail and smirk at the ups and downs it created for me. As I've said before, prior to that, I hadn't had so much as a stitch (ok, I admit... a cavity) and the surgery and rehab was like nothing I'd experienced before. That said... I am grateful for it. Going through a physical (which becomes mental) challenge, no matter how small, lets you learn something about yourself. How do I handle pain? Goals? Setbacks? Rehab? I'm not saying I wouldn't have done a few things differently, but I know myself a little better now, and can pass any knowledge and experience, however trivial, to people who are going through the same thing.


And now... to cross the 1 year post-op anniversary...! (And when in the heck am I gonna play volleyball again?!) ;)

3 comments:

  1. Just got the word yesterday that my acl is gone. Have really enjoyed reading your blog. I'm really not looking forward to going through this. All I can think of is "How many months am I not going to be able to do the things I love?" Little about me: hurt my knee playing ultimate. I'm older, 44 yo, been playing ultimate for 25 years. Live in SLC so I ski, bike, hike. Have a good doctor (does hamstring grafts, worked on Tiger's knee, and worked on the same knee 7 years ago to repair some torn femural cartlidge), good pt. So I've sort of been through this although not as bad and it was in the winter. Would much rather do PT in the winter than during the summer when I want to be playing ultimate, working outside, golfing, hiking, etc. My quad from that surgery never came back 100% although I never really noticed anything thhese past 7 years other than it was always a little smaller. But your blog has given me hope that it will be over before i know it. It just seems like a long time. It also seems like a good idea to start my own blog if nothing else so I have some record of what I went through and maybe it will help someone like yours helped me. My email address is eichall@xmission.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Bummer! No one likes an ACL tear, but a second one? Luckily you've been through it before, sounds like you're surrounded by professionals who know what they're doing, and also are active enough to have the drive to return to doing what you love! I'm sure things will go really well with all of those factors playing a role!

    I'm glad you've enjoyed my blog. I would recommend one if you have the free time to keep up with it! The others I have linked to were nice 'company' as we were going through the rehab around the same time, and I'm sure you'll find your own clique of post-op pals!

    Good luck! You can contact me any time with questions, but the blog's memory is probably better than my own! ;)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey eichall@xmission.com. I am the Wendy Summer refers too. I just hit my 40 birthday. I can definately admit that my healing process is a little slower that Summer (she is a bit younger than myself) but I was almost milestone for milestone with her. I started back playing my favorite sport, volleyball 2 months ago now. So right around the 5-6 month mark. I loved this blog. It kept me motivated. It will honestly be over before you know it! I wish I would have blogged!!

    ReplyDelete